Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Progress at Gateway Finale

My final Gateway Pro Tour event of the spring season saw the hours of hard work and dedication start to pay off. Solid rounds of 71-71-70 propelled me to a 12th place finish at Vista Verde GC. A patient three days of golf saw a pretty steady scorecard throughout each round. With only 5 bogeys and 1 double bogey over 54 holes, I was able to limit my mistakes and put less pressure on making lots of birdies. Each day saw winds blow from 15-25 mph making it difficult to attack some challenging pin positions, especially on day 3. I had plenty of opportunities to get myself into contention, but my wedge game just didn't set up enough close birdie chances. With blustery winds, tight pin locations, and quick firm greens, it was tough to be aggressive to hit it close. Overall, I was very pleased the way I managed my game, and eliminated the number of mistakes. My approach to the week was a more confident and purposeful attitude, allowing me to feel more comfortable with my game and knowing I have the ability to perform at a high level. Sharpening up my wedges, along with tightening up a few other parts of my game will be the focus over the next week to get ready for my next event.

The Minnesota Golf Champions event is scheduled to be held May 6th-8th at Minneapolis Golf Club in Minneapolis, MN. The invitation-only field consists of the top amateur and professional golfers from the state, participating in a three day stroke play event, with a cut after the second round on Saturday. I'm looking forward to finally playing in the tournament, after having to decline invitations in years past due to collegiate tournaments. The Minneapolis Golf Club (MGC) is one of the premiere venues in the state, especially after a bunker renovation in the recent years to update the layout. A site to past PGA Championships and many other USGA majors, MGC will certainly provide a great test regardless of the always unpredictable Minnesota weather. You can follow my progress in this tournament through the Minnesota Golf Champions leaderboard page.

Less than 24 hours after the Minnesota Golf Champions event concludes, I'll once again tee it up the following morning. I will be participating and looking to advance through the U.S. Open local qualifier, which is being held at Bunker Hills GC in Coon Rapids, MN. With numerous practice rounds and tournament experience at Bunker Hills, I'm excited to have the chance to qualify for the Sectionals of the U.S. Open after missing out by 1 stroke last year.

With some great opportunities to test my abilities in the coming weeks, I will be making sure all aspects of my game are ready to go come next Friday. Diligent and purposeful hours of practice will be had each day back here in Alexandria, MN in order to be prepared for four straight days of competitive golf. I'm looking forward to getting back into the tournament grind and working my way into contention!

That's all for now from "the tips", but until next time remember...."the more you practice, the luckier you get!"
-Gary Player

Bryce

No comments:

Post a Comment