Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Battle at Palm Valley

Another week is upon us as the 6th Gateway Pro Tour event is underway at Palm Valley Golf Club in Goodyear, AZ. A better start this morning in the first round came out to a 71 (-1), putting me in a tie for 46th. The course was there for the taking as the conditions were ideal all day. I drove the ball very well today, but just wasn't able to capitalize on the opportunities available to take it deep into red numbers. My focus after the round today during my practice was on my wedge game, and putting to improve my "scoring" clubs. Tomorrow I'll look to keep it in play off the tee again to continually give myself a lot of chances for birdies. The more looks I can get at birdie, the better chance I'll have at moving myself up the leader board. My second round starting time tomorrow is 12 pm & you can follow the scores on the link below. http://gatewaytour.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/gway11/event/gway117/contest/1/leaderboard.htm Time to climb the board!! Gateway Tour event #5 Recap: Last week's event was a disappointing start to the tournament. An early mistake put me behind the 8-ball in a hurry in the first round. With perfect weather and a golf course there for the taking, I had a lot of ground to make up after only a couple of holes. Any momentum I got going with a birdie, would only be short-lived as a bogey would soon follow on day 1. A first round 75 would make playing all three days a very tall order. Knowing I had to shot something in the low 60's to play the final round, I came out aggressive in the second round. Near misses for birdie on the first two holes, were followed by back-to-back birdies at 12 & 13. Things cooled off however, but a birdie at #18 allowed me to make the turn at -1 for the day. Another birdie on #1 as I made the turn kept things going. Unfortunately, another disaster hole caused a setback with a double on #4. My roller-coaster round would continue as I rattled off three consecutive birdies, only to follow it up with another bogey. A closing par sealed my score of 69, providing a little confidence heading into the following week. My game is close to turning the corner towards the right direction. A few errant shots here and there are holding me back from the consistency that I've been striving for. I've been making enough birdies to get myself into contention, but eliminating the big numbers and costly mistakes are necessary to compete week in a and week out. I am confident that the golf I know I can play is near, and can come alive on any given day. All I can do is put all my heart and effort into it and be patient for the results to follow! That's all for now from "the tips", but until next time remember...."Resolve never to quit, never to give up, no matter what the situation." -Jack Nicklaus Bryce

No comments:

Post a Comment